Friday, May 18, 2012

30 Day Vegan Prep

I'm sooooo excited that Heather's 30 Day Vegan Workshop opened up this week.  (It's not too late, and you can save $5.)  It doesn't officially start until Monday, but we are able to log in and access the first week's recipes before the weekend.  That means I can get daikons and summer squash from the little farm down the road Saturday morning.  And I'm hoping someone at the market has mint.  I am officially Death-for-Mint.  Can't keep a plant alive for anything.  But I should have plenty of lemon basil for the month ahead . . . yum.

assembling my workshop binder
The other bonus of getting in early is that I can make a meal plan for next week.  In fact, I had a productive day Thursday, and I managed to create a menu plan and shopping list for the meals we selected.  I added my own snack list at the bottom.  Heather included several sweet treats, but I'm a salty craving kind of gal.  We love our popcorn with sea salt and olive oil.  And blue corn chips and homemade salsa got me through those first few gluten free months.  I don't think I would have survived without them.

Also, we're eating all of the cheese in the house this week.  Like a bunch of crazy people.  I would like an empty cheese drawer before next week, but my oldest keeps giving me sad eyes.  She is all on board with the vegan meals . . . except for the cheese.  I'm not going to force her, but I guess that means having a drawer of cheese to taunt me for the next thirty days.  Bummer.


5 comments:

  1. Why are you doing this again?

    My daughter has developed a eczema-ish rash on her face that won't go away. Someone told me that dairy can worsen eczema, and I am now contemplating a dairy-free trial.

    I don't even know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been vegan before when my youngest was little and had egg and dairy allergies, and I definitely have dairy sensitivities. I just feel much better when I do completely without once in a while. Dairy can definitely worsen eczema, and I've heard people say they completely stop having reactions after eliminating dairy.

      Delete
    2. Deb, my daughter had terrible, terrible eczema. She was already gluten-free, so the pediatrician surmised it wasn't wheat. She wasn't eating eggs (an allergy she has since outgrown). He had us cut out corn, which improved things quite a bit, but she still had it. A friend suggested I look up hazelwood necklaces. She's been wearing one since November. They wear out quickly on her, about every 2-3 months (although I'm hoping they last longer as we go on), but the eczema was completely gone within two weeks of putting on her first necklace. It's AMAZING. I get ours from tinyteethers.com but Google "hazelwood necklace" and lots of sources come up. I tell everyone about it because it made such a difference. :)

      Delete
  2. thank you for the comment on my blog. Loved hearing from you :) My partner loves cheese as much as I however he is not vegan nor does he have any interest in going there so for the next 30 days, I will be undertaking a battle of wills to resist the cheese. So I'll put my hand up and help support you when tempted by the cheese draw, and will reach out to you when the evil stuff calls to me from the fridge :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband isn't really interested either, but he's willing to try whatever I cook this month. My only rule is he can't tell me what he eats for lunch. :)

      Delete