Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Short Rant about the Fantasy Genre

Last week, I decided I would write a fantasy novel.  Mostly because the prospect terrifies me.  I'm not afraid of failure, typically, but since it was the first genre that really sparked my interest in reading as a child, it would break my heart to discover that I suck at writing it.  So, because it scares me, I'm going to write it.

I know, however, that the genre has changed a bit over the years.  I haven't read much current fantasy, other than Harry Potter and George R. R. Martin.  And I'm not writing epic fantasy.  Forget it.  That man must have a crazy conspiracy theorist's room with string and post-it's strewn across it.  Oh, I'd love to see that room, but I'm not up for the challenge just yet.  So, I figured I'd better get my head back in the game and read a bit of what's out there.

I remember why I stopped reading fantasy fiction.  

Everything in the library seems to fall under at least one of these categories:

  • Series such-and-such, Book #whatever
  • Vampires and/or Werewolves
  • Young Adult

This is all fine and dandy.  I have no problem with any of them.  But.  I'm not in the mood for a series, people who bite, or teenage angst.  Is it too much to ask for a sword-and-sorcery style stand-alone novel about adults?  Really?

Then I remembered some advice.  
If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. 
--Toni Morrison

Yes,  Toni.  Thank you.

That's exactly what I'm going to do.

4 comments:

  1. I would TOTALLY read a book like this. I'm sick of vampires and the like. And while I don't mind the handful of series that I follow, I long for books more like what got me started in fantasy reading in the first place. The Dragonlance books started me on my fantasy journey and I'd love to read a book with good old-fashioned swords and sorcery!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Rowan! They're still out there, but a lot of the new stuff seems to be self-published. Which is fine, but it does make it a little more difficult to wade through the crap to find well-written stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. reading back through your blog. ;o)

    i love sword & sorcery - i’ve been rereading mary stewart’s merlin quartet and some other arthurian tales because the boys and i watched bbc merlin last year (it’s finishing up over the next six weeks, unfortunately - we watched most of it on dvd/netflix).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read those. Somehow missed them along the way.

      Delete