Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Discovery and Story Soundtracks

I missed a week of posting here.  I'm totally letting myself off the hook.
Hurricane Crazy and all.

This week I'm in full story-prep mode.  Opening myself up to ideas, feeding my muse (aka, the girls in the basement), building magic, and generally just getting in the mood.  Some days, I really struggle with the discovery process.  Lately, I can't even settle on a mood for a potential story, much less pin down characters or setting.  We aren't even approaching plot territory yet.

Currently I'm playing around with creating a soundtrack for my story.   Something I can listen to that will immediately throw me into my story or my characters.  I've never done one before, and I'm more of a visual person, but I've been told this is a really good tool to try out.

But.
You see.

I'm creating a story soundtrack, and I don't even have an idea for a story yet.  Sounds backwards?  Not so much.  See, what I discovered when I started perusing playlists from tv shows I enjoy, I realized that there's a definite theme running through the books, movies, and tv shows I've been enjoying lately:  Revenge, George R. R. Martin books, Shutter Island, Gone Girl.  Sensing a theme here?  Dark.  Mysterious.  This is not the stuff I normally write.  But maybe I should?  At least for now, if that's what I'm in the mood for.  So I'm filling a playlist with songs pulled from the tv show Revenge.  Lots of great stuff there.  Haunting.  Quirky.  Not my normal go-to stuff, but definitely able to get me in the mood to write something a little more dark and twisted than the lighter stuff I'm used to writing.  But I'm not shifting completely.  I think there's plenty of room to infuse myself into a darker story . . . more banter, a few goof-ups, a few laughs.  Really, it's all in the balance and the pacing, I think.

So.  That's my plan.  So far.

Darker.
More Mysterious.

Not much of a plan, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment