Thursday, October 4, 2012

Feeding My Muse: Drawing

First, I'd like to confess.  I don't draw.  I'm no good at it, and it feels awkward.  Downright painful sometimes.  But it's one of those things I would like to do.  For no good reason other than I want to.  I find that's often the best reason to do anything.

So, I pulled out a pencil, some sketching paper, and a children's drawing book.  Actually, I tried an old, public domain drawing book first, but I felt like it skipped a LOT of steps.  You know, like how in the world do people achieve that quick, graceful, fluid sketching style?  That's when I went to the kid's book.  First assignment: drawing lines.  Warm-ups.  Exactly.


I still stink at it, but now I'm spending at least fifteen minutes each afternoon sketching.  Drawing lines.  Whatever.  It's soul-filling and freeing.
And feeding my muse.

You see, I was so enamored with being in story-writing mode again that I forgot how valuable it can be to experiment with other creative outlets when writing.  It sets the corners of your brain on fire.  And instead of being a distraction, I find that when I do go back to writing, I have an amazing amount of  focus.  Not to mention wonderful new ideas.


5 comments:

  1. i always thought i stank at drawing, but it turned out i’d just never learned, had never been taught. once i sat down and started drawing with my kids, it turned out to be like any other skill — the more i did it, the better i got! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, for some reason it always seemed magical. I played music, I know art requires practice, but for some reason I didn't think that applied to drawing. And then I had really cruddy "instruction" in the one art class I had.

      Delete
    2. oh my gosh, i know. that’s exactly what i thought — that it was a magical talent. but i think i thought reading was a magical talent, too, before i could do it! :)

      Delete
  2. Woo-hoo!! Let me know what you end up buying as far as pencils, too. I hope you had fun shopping. Buying art supplies makes me *so* happy. (And using them too, of course!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'll let you know all about the treasures I pick up!

      Delete