Thursday, October 11, 2012

Plodding Along

Actually, this has been a productive month so far.  Drawing and playing with colored sharpies to add color to my brainstorming have really opened up some pathways for me.  Pinterest is always fun for inspiration, too.  But today, I've got nothing.  It's Sick Week, crammed in the middle of Busy Month.  I'm exhausted and not really moving forward with anything.  Here's a quick list of things I've been doing to prep for NaNoWriMo.

  • Main character motivations, fears, goals, etc. and lots of questions that need answers.
  • An initiating event, and a basic conflict to get the story rolling.
  • A couple of plot points or twists I'd like to include.
  • Vague hints of other characters.  Not certain who the antagonist is at this point, but that's ok.  I like to leave some discovery for the drafting process.
  • I even sat with my 9 yr old (who will be doing the young writers program next month) and helped her create a plot chart for Star Wars: A New Hope.  By "help" I mean that I sat there and asked if she knew what fit where.  She really didn't need much help.  Love it!
  • Reading.  Hey, it's homework for writers.  I swear.
Next on the agenda (should have been today, but, eh, feeling cruddy, so next week) will be creating a map.  Or maps.  Hopefully I'll actually have something to show.  A collage, perhaps?

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of maps, I just requested & borrowed Maps of the Imagination: The Writer as Cartographer by Peter Turchi. No idea what exactly it's about but I saw somebody mention it on some blog somewhere and it looked interesting. I'll let you know.

    (I hate Sick Week. And Busy Month. And Absent Husband.)

    ReplyDelete