Tuesday, January 8, 2013

2013 Goals

It's been quite a while since I spent time in this space.  I decided not to blog through NaNoWriMo.  It left me free to focus on the work, and despite kid illnesses and a camping mini-vacation, I crammed a lot of words at the end and finished.  Winner, winner, chicken dinner.  Or something like that.  Minus the chicken.



Then came December.

Eh.

Let's just move on, shall we?




So here we are.  A new month.  A new year.  and I couldn't be happier. I love the possibilities of planning and setting goals for a new year.  I don't do resolutions, because they just don't feel right for me.  I don't need my conscience wagging a finger at me.  I want to build habits and grow.  In that light, I prefer goals and plans.  I've done a word or theme for the year in the past, but this year I really didn't have that kind of focus.  There are several areas of my life I would like to address, and there's no one encompassing theme to bundle them all neatly together this time around.

For 2013, I decided to focus on four areas of my life and set goals for each.  Here are the four areas and my big picture goals for them:

Family
more camping trips
visit aquarium and/or insectarium (kids' request)
solstice & equinox celebrations - revisit our yearly goals together and make plans for each new season

Health
yoga
running with dog
2 detox/cleanses
continue healthy eating & incorporate more vegan recipes in regular rotation

Work/Writing
rewrite 2012 NaNoWriMo project
Draft a new novel

Projects 
garden - plant again and add 1 raised bed
continue dog training - add tricks & agility
knitting
reading - focus on 1 book at a time (ok, maybe 2)


These are my big, broad goals.  Next week, I'll share the nitty gritty, otherwise known as my baby-step plans for January.*   Until then, best wishes for a productive and fulfilling 2013!!!


* I'm also sharing those plans in the project-based homeschooling forum, since there's a new section for grown-ups.  Since almost everything important I've learned I taught myself as an adult, I DO consider myself a project-based homeschooler.  So there.  You can join in or read along with Lori's PBH for grown-ups series on her blog.




4 comments:

  1. hope your year is great! :)

    i think your plan to revisit your goals is really important — we really set more like 6-month rather than yearly goals and we have another big goal talk as we segue into summer. chopping the year in half seems to give us twice the amount of time to accomplish things! ;o)

    “Since almost everything important I've learned I taught myself as an adult, I DO consider myself a project-based homeschooler.” — leave out the adult part and i said almost the exact same thing the other day on twitter! maybe i was homeschooled after all... definitely an autodidact, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! I hope your year is wonderful, too!

      Delete